May 18, 2011

*GULP*

Today I sent off my "Letter of Appeal" to Thomas Edison State University. 

Supposedly TESC only enrolls adult learners--21+ years old. As you know, I am but 19. However, according to CollegePlus!, every one of their underage students who wrote a "letter of appeal" to TESC had their applications accepted. 

So here's hoping!

P.S. In case you're interested in writing your own letter, here's the text of my letter and an unofficial score report which I sent to the Director of Admissions:


Dear Mr. Hoftiezer,

I would like to introduce myself as a prospective student at Thomas Edison State College. My name is Abigail Rogers, I am nineteen years old and I live in the small town of Sulphur Springs, Arkansas. I have been schooled at home all of my life, benefitting from many unique opportunities that accompany this uncommon education. In the past I have

·         Participated in two little theater productions.
·         Helped produce a video documentary on the history of my hometown.
·         Written the biography of a local 98 year old man.
·         Taken piano classes for about six years.
·         Joined a vocal quartet called Quadraphonics, producing two albums.
·         Created a blog on all things British, www.PictureBritain.com.
·         Co-founded a face painting business (our website: www.ChromaArt.info).

I have always been attracted to writing and literature. After much research into TESC’s undergraduate programs I have discovered that the English degree best fits my interests and strengths, as well as my ideas for a future career. I look forward to developing a broader knowledge of liberal arts studies and a greater depth of knowledge in the fascinating subject of English.

I am aware that Thomas Edison State College is primarily an adult center of education, but I know that you are looking for self-directed learners who are passionate and dedicated to their studies. Starting at age 15, I began earning credit hours through the CLEP and DSST programs and have now earned 81 credits. I am a motivated student and am prepared to do my best if enrolled at Thomas Edison State College.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this letter.

Sincerely,
Abigail Rogers

Unofficial Score Report

CLEP:
·       American Government…………………………………………………..61
·       Analyzing and Interpreting Literature…………………………….80
·       College Algebra………………………………………………………………68
·       English Composition with Essay……………………………………..65
·       English Literature…………....….………Unknown Score, but 50+
·       History of the United States I…………………………………………77
·       History of the United States II………………………………………..69
·       Humanities…………………………………………………………………….76
·       Information Systems and Computer Applications…………..61
·       Introductory Psychology…………………………………………………73
·       Introductory Sociology…………………………………………………..64
·       Natural Sciences…………………………………………………………….69
·       Principles of Marketing………………………………………………….66
·       Social Sciences and History…………………………………………….71
·       Western Civilization I……………………………………………………..71
·       Western Civilization II…………………………………………………….63

DSST:
·      Introduction to World Religions………………………….467
·      Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union…………………………..67
·      Technical Writing……………………………………………….67

UPDATE: I discovered that instead of typing out my scores (as above) I was supposed to scan my unofficial score report for each test, make them PDFs, then email them.